Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SerSunal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ser

3PAR integration with VBR

Post by SerSunal »

I ask you a question. I have my Veeam Backup server that is backing up datastore hosted VMs coming from a 3PAR storage. The connection between the ESXi servers and the 3PAR is by a SAN switch through Fiber Channel.
I want to integrate the 3PAR to Veeam to be able to see the snapshots that the storage takes and have the option to restore from the snapshots.
The question I am asking you is how is the physical and logical connection between 3PAR and Veeam Server has to be.
Thank you.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: 3PAR integration with VBR

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

The main backup server need access to the 3par webservice interface. The Proxies (data transport) need access to iSCSI and/or FibreChannel interfaces.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
SerSunal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ser

Post by SerSunal »

What I am understanding is that all the LUNs that are connected to all the ESXi servers that end up being the datastore of the port virtual infrastructure have to be connected to the Proxy server?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

When you use the storage integration, you do not need to present the datastore volumes to the Proxy server. The storage integration presents automatically only the snapshots to the Proxy on demand.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert »

However for FibreChannel usage you have to create a hosts entry with the WWNs of the Proxy server.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

SerSunal wrote: Jun 19, 2023 11:34 pm What I am understanding is that all the LUNs that are connected to all the ESXi servers that end up being the datastore of the port virtual infrastructure have to be connected to the Proxy server?
this is what you would do with "Direct SAN" mode. but in your case you ask about Storage Integration and Backup from Storage Snapshots so what Andreas wrote applies.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA