Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
PXAbstraction
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gerry Corcoran

Splitting Backups When Going to Azure Blob Storage

Post by PXAbstraction »

Hey all. I've got an efficiency question for you all.

At my employer, I took over the managed Veeam backups for a particular client. This was originally architected a number of years ago. Backups are done on-prem, then Backup Copy jobs send them to various 4TB drives that are attached to an Azure VM. These 4TB drives are in a storage account, but were originally created as unmanaged disks attached to this VM. Because of the multiple drives, the copies are split up into multiple jobs, but they are all continuous so they run whenever new restore points become available.

I'm in the process of rearchiteching this setup using v12 to send the copies direct to Azure Blob storage, so we can ditch these legacy disks and save the client some money by not paying for storage they aren't using. Since Azure puts speed throttles on saving directly to blob storage, does it still make sense to split the copies into separate jobs or would one continuous job that encompasses all of the client's VM do the job as well? I'm just looking to make things as streamlined as possible. They have a total of 59 objects that are copied up to Azure.

In my head, I don't think there's any downside to making one large copy job in this manner, but I wanted to solicit other opinions.

Thanks! :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Splitting Backups When Going to Azure Blob Storage

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I believe one backup copy job would answer their requirements, but it never harms to run a simple test to see whether splitting a single copy job makes sense. Thanks!
PXAbstraction
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gerry Corcoran

Post by PXAbstraction »

Thanks, much appreciated! What I ended up doing was creating 3 jobs: One each for half of their VMs and another for a handful of physical servers they have. This is resulting in decent performance. I'm not sure if it's any better than if it was all one day, but it keeps things nicely organized and the client seems cool with it, so I am too. :) Cheers!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You are welcome. Glad to hear you have found the setup that meets your expectations. Should other help be needed, don't hesitate to let us know. Thanks!