Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

Case #06130316 Removing the WAN Accelerator does not uninstall the software?

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo »

Case #06130316
Removing the Veeam WAN Accelerator using the Veeam GUI does not uninstall the software from the remote server.
Although manually uninstalling the software appears to work OK,
Somewhere Veeam still thinks the WAN acceelerator is installed on those servers.

Because if one later updates Veeam to a newer version, the update of those nodes fails because the WAN Accelerator isn't installed anymore, and cannot be updated.
What is the correct way to both remove the WAN accelerator, AND remove the WAN Accelerator from the Windows Server involved, and inform Veeam that those servers don't have or need this software component anymore on them?

I am aware of article https://www.veeam.com/kb1828
And this was indeed relevant because I removed the volume that was configured for the E:\VeeamWAN\ folder.
And although editing the registry (or even adding a new HDD in so the E: drive comes back), even though this allowed the WAN Accelerator to be successfully updated.
I even added the WAN accelerator back to Veeam. It dected already installed and re-applied ths configuration.
Removing the WAN Accelerator from Veeam afterwards still did NOT remove the software from the server.
Hence the question.
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Case #06130316 Removing the WAN Accelerator does not uninstall the software?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Mark,

I'd say that it's just a technical problem that the corresponding services are not deleted from a server OS after you remove the WAN Accelerator role. Let's wait for our support team, I'm pretty sure they will find an explanation of this behavior soon.

Thanks!