Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
vaxyz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Move Backup Copy Jobs to new Performance Tier (SOBR)

Post by vaxyz »

Hi,

My Backup Copy Jobs is configured to use the Scale-Out Backup Repository method:

Performance Tier: AWS S3
Capacity Tier: n/a
Archive Tier: AWS Glacier Deep Archive Tier

I created a new AWS S3 bucket and I want my Backup Copy Jobs to point to the new bucket.

What are the steps to move my existing Backup Copy Jobs to use the new AWS S3 bucket?

I found this link below that I can use VeeaMover, but not sure if I can use this feature with SOBR.

https://nolabnoparty.com/en/veeam-v12-m ... veeamover/
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Move Backup Copy Jobs to new Performance Tier (SOBR)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
VeeaMover also works from SOBR to standalone repositories, yes. The main question for me would be, whether it's a good idea to move the backups including archive tier (because of costs) :-)

Can you maybe explain what the overall goal is that you like to achieve?

Best regards,
Hannes
vaxyz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by vaxyz »

Ultimately, my goal is to have my Performance Tier to be immutable for at least 7-days.

Current Backup Copy Jobs destination is to a SOBR with Direct-to-Object Storage using AWS.

Current Setup:
Performance Tier: AWS S3 (non-immutable)
Archive Tier: AWS Glacier Deep Archive Tier (Immutable)

How can I migrate my existing data in the Performance Tier AWS S3 bucket (non-immutable) to a new immutable AWS S3 bucket?

What I've been reading the only way to achieve this is to create a new SOBR, but if your Performance Tier is an Object Storage then you can NOT migrate your data.

1. Create a new SOBR
2. Add the new extent AWS S3 Bucket (Immutable) to the Performance Tier
3. Skip the Capacity Tier (Not in Use)
4. Add the existing extent AWS Glacier Deep Archive (Immutable) to the Archive Tier
5. Now go to Disk section under Backups and right click the Backup Copy Job. Select Move Backup option change the destination repository to the new SOBR

New Setup:
Performance Tier: AWS S3 (Immutable)
Archive Tier: AWS Glacier Deep Archive Tier (Immutable)

Looks like I would lose 2 weeks worth of backups from the old Performance Tier, but at least I would still have my existing data in the Archive Tier because my understanding that the VBM files (Metadata) are kept in the Archive bucket.

Can anyone confirm this or is there another way of doing this?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
but if your Performance Tier is an Object Storage then you can NOT migrate your data.

I'm not sure where the statement comes from. "move" only moves data from performance tier. And
user guide wrote:Backups stored in the capacity and archive tiers are moved to the node with the (Orphaned) postfix
As you don't have capacity tier, you can move "performance tier only" and let background retention do the rest (and add a new archive tier). Just make sure, that the gateway server in AWS is configured in a way, that no egress charges apply (same concept as mentioned here).

Best regards,
Hannes