Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Vertigo
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Toby Groves

How do I restore from a backup copy?

Post by Vertigo »

I have B&R set up on my server to perform daily backups from which I can restore files or volumes without any issues. This uses the Windows Agent to backup my PC.

I also have a weekly Backup Copy job which copies the backups to a remote offsite computer.
This remote computer is connected via VPN and is running the Veeam Backup Transport. My server connects to it once a week and copies the backups. Again this is all fine.

The issue I now have is I can't work out how I'm supposed to restore files directly from this offsite backup? What's the process here?

On my server (with the VPN connection to the offsite machine established), I tried clicking the Restore button at the top and then Agent.. from the drop-down menu.
I then selected Guest files restore, then Microsoft Windows.
I can then see both the daily and weekly backup jobs. I expand the weekly backup copy job and select the client computer name and click Next.
I can then see the correct offsite backups on the remote machine, however if I select any of the restore points and click Next, I immediately get an error "Backup files are unavailable"

Where am I going wrong here? Is it even possible to restore directly from an offsite backup copy or do I have to move the files locally first?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How do I restore from a backup copy?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as a quick workaround, you should be able to do the restore directly from the B&R console under backups -> disk (copy).

To narrow down what the problem is, I have a few questions
1) do you already have a Veeam support case where maybe everything is answered?
2) How is the agent / B&R setup? It sounds like a "managed by agent" policy with workstation edition to get the Agent GUI on the server. Is that correct?

Best regards,
Hannes
Vertigo
Influencer

Post by Vertigo »

Hi,

1) Nope, no support case.
2) I'm using B&R CE 9.5 Update 4. I'm backing up a single workstation via the Windows Agent on a daily basis. The copy job then runs early on Saturday morning.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1) ok, no worries. Support won't help on that old version anyway
2) If you see the same in V12, then I will look at it (it makes no sense to test with that old version). But I still need the exact configuration then about the backup job (in V12 then).

Best regards,
Hannes
Vertigo
Influencer

Post by Vertigo »

Yeah fair enough, I appreciate I'm using an old version and I really ought to upgrade but I'm usually of the "if it ain't broke" mentality.

Can I just do an in-place upgrade to the latest version?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

no, that version is so old, that steps in between are needed (10a first).
but I'm usually of the "if it ain't broke" mentality.
attacker / people on the other side of the ransomware love that mentality :-)