Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mtav
Novice
Liked: never

1 vCenter, (temporarily) 2 Veeam Servers

Post by mtav »

Hello,

we use vSphere 7 with Veeam 11 as production system.

We are about to replace the Veeam 11 server with new hardware running Veeam 12.

We were thinking about doing a step-by-step migration meaning that we would like to connect both veeam servers to the vsphere 7 environment and for a specific period of time do backup jobs of the vms from both servers. Of course we would try to make sure that those backups don't overlap. If we can guarantee this, is there anything else we should keep in mind? Could CBT be an issue? (Because we cannot guarantee that on the new server we might just delete some of the created backups just for tesing purposes etc).
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: 1 vCenter, (temporarily) 2 Veeam Servers

Post by Andreas Neufert »

CBT works fine with multiple backup solutions.
But that said when you do a Active Full backup (first backup), we reset automatically CBT which would force a full read (snap and scan for changes) on the second backup solution that backup same VM, too. There is a reg key to avoid this, but I think you are fine as you would migrate workload by workload to the new solution and do not do backups of same VMs in parallel ?
mtav
Novice
Liked: never

Post by mtav »

Hello,

thank you very much for your answer.

Acutally we were thinking about doing backups in parallel for some time as we might have to delete backups from the new system etc., so unless we think that everything is working as it should on the new system we do not consider the backups done there as valid.

But if i understand you right in the end it would mean that when CBT is reset because of a Active Full on one system backups on the other system will take longer than usual but still work reliable?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I just learned that the control for forcing CBT reset does not need a reg key but is part of the user interface.

You can temporary disable the CBT reset at active full in each job.
Edit Job - Storage - Advanced Setting (button) - vSphere - disable "Reset CBT on each Active Full backup automatically"

After migration I would enable it again as it makes total sense to do then.