Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
snakes
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tor c

Replication job

Post by snakes »

we have 3 esxi 5 vmware hosts connection to a ps6000 SAN with 3 luns hosting approx 40 VMs. Filsystem is vfms5 on all LUNs.
We are currently doing a few weaeam backup jobs to nas and then to tape for historical purposes ,but that is not the issue here.
Issue is We have a reserved ps5000 SAN where i would like to setup replication jobs approx every 4th hours to replicate all vms to in case of a major san disaster.

The veeam backup server is a physical server with 2 nic connection to the storage san and the production network.
Both sans is on the same storage network, so connectivity is no problem. I have a spare 4.1 esx license running on an old HP server connecting to the 3 vmfs3 luns on the ps5000 SAN.

When i try to setup the replication job where specifying the server in the DR site and then choosing the 4.1 server, the VM folder option is grayed out. The Job fails telling that the vm resurce is unknown.

Could this be a license issue or maybe a vmfs issue?

Anyone have any advice?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Replication job

Post by Gostev »

I am not sure I understand what you specific issue is (a screenshot might be helpful).

But please note that replication to earlier versions of ESX(i) hosts is generally not supported because of incompatible virtual hardware version. This is documented in the release notes document included with your download. For example, ESXi 5 VMs have virtual hardware v8, however ESX 4.1 does not "understand" anything beyond v7 and thus will not be able to run such replica VMs.

Thanks!
snakes
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tor c

Re: Replication job

Post by snakes »

well, there you go. I missed that note of course. Just tested a replication job with a Vm with virtual hardware version 7 on the 4.1 host and this job went fine:-) thx a lot for the tip and pardon for my bad explanation.