Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jb238
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joerg Baur

How to remove imported backup in v12

Post by jb238 »

In v11 I could "remove from backup" an imported backup.
In v12 there is only "remove from disk".
I don't want to delete the files, just remove the imported backup from "Disk (imported)".

Background: we copy backups (.vbm and .vbk) to USB disk. In order to restore from them, they have to be imported. After this is finished, I like to remove the imported backups without deleting any files on the USB disk.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How to remove imported backup in v12

Post by Mildur »

Hello Joerg

CTRL + right click --> Remove from configuration
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jb238
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joerg Baur

Post by jb238 »

Thanks, this worked.
I wish that Veeam would stop hiding things behind ctrl-click. Just show what options are available and maybe display a warning on really critical things to inform the user of potential problems.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre »

I strongly second the vote to put things on the top menu. I had to google this, when it should have been obvious.

THX,
-JB
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Post by BackupBytesTim »

I'll +1 that request, too many options hidden in one way or another that really shouldn't be hidden. I'm sure myself and most other IT professionals would much rather have easy access to controls, for the most part I think it's safe to say we know what we're doing. Veeam is designed for and sold primarily to businesses, not consumers without technical experience. We tend to know what we're doing and know the risks and know not to just go clicking every button to see what happens.

I know I certainly wouldn't try pressing "CTRL + Right-Click" normally on my own if not very specifically instructed to. It's not a button combination that typically does things in other software.

Also, from Veeam's perspective, putting controls up front and obvious should make it easier for users to discover functionality on their own which both enables users to do more and reduces support time having to explain how to just use the product.

Side note:
Only sort of related, but based on all the support cases I've had and forum threads I've read there's also like a hundred or more Veeam settings that are similarly hidden in registry keys instead of being present in any Veeam UI, same thing for those as software controls, would be nice if things weren't all hidden in hard to find places.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tim

I'm sorry for the late answer. Just got back from my 3 out of office weeks.
We have hidden this feature, because it shouldn't be used in regular use cases.
Too many options hidden in one way or another that really shouldn't be hidden
May I ask, what are those other hidden options which your environment needs to use regularly? When we understand the use cases of our customer, and how often a feature is used, we will consider to make them visible.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
B.F.
Expert
Liked: 9 times

Post by B.F. »

Just wanted to quick chime in.

I too had to search how to do this. Our use case is we have offline backups every month that go to a USB attached enclosure and disk. When the occasion arises that we have to pull some backup from the old offline disk, we import it, browse the backup for the needed files, then remove from the import and go on our way. I had to stumble on this thread to figure out how to remove this imported disk without deleting the files.

Don't fully understand the logic why one needs to know a secret handshake to pull this off now. Hopefully I won't forget and have to search again in the future. :)