Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Michael Paul

Feature Request: Backup over VNet

Post by micoolpaul »

Hi,

It'd be great to see the ability to perform backups over the network, just like NBD more in VBR or the in-guest Veeam Agent. In all honesty I'm after Veeam Agent being able to be deployed and managed via Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure.

I request this due to the costs of implementing Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure with private endpoints suddenly necessitating Service Bus Premium (I understand this is to workaround Microsoft imposed restrictions, not your fault). When you're only backing up a small number of VMs, Service Bus Premium can make the design cost prohibitive. In such scenarios, the ability to push an agent over the network and manage its backup policy just like VBR would be fantastic, especially as the agent can talk directly to object storage already.
-------------
Michael Paul
Veeam Legend | Veeam Certified Architect | Veeam Vanguard
lyudmila.ezerskaya
Veeam Software
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Lyudmila Ezerskaya

Re: Feature Request: Backup over VNet

Post by lyudmila.ezerskaya » 1 person likes this post

Hi, Michael!

Yes, we understand that sometimes the cost might be too high. Can you please tell me in which projects you need this feature? You say it's a couple of VMs, did I get you right? Is it a requirement internally, or do you provide services to other companies?

As for potential workarounds, then potentially there is another solution, but it needs some research first. I will update the thread when and if I have more info to share.

Thank you for your feedback!
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard

Post by micoolpaul »

Woohoo! Thank you!
-------------
Michael Paul
micoolpaul
Veeam Vanguard

Post by micoolpaul »

Hi,

RE those questions provided: I can't speak of the companies directly as I provide consultancy services via my employer, but we could have an offline discussion around those. It's a frequent customer mandated requirement that they want to architect Azure with as little public facing infrastructure as possible. Unfortunately the extra cost imposed monthly for the Azure Service Bus Premium immediately makes the offering less attractive.
-------------
Michael Paul