Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MarkusHaf
Novice
Liked: never

How does the restore system work?

Post by MarkusHaf »

I am new to Veeam and I need some help with understanding things.
So I understand that if you can access your windows environment you can start a restore process with your application but what happens if the system becomes corrupt. I remember that during the install process I did some kind of recovery media installation, so is that used when you are in windows restore options or how exactly does it work? Asking this because if veeam agent is supposed to boot from the iso file created from recovery media, cant it become corrupt or something in that way?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: How does the restore system work?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60

You are searching for Bare Metal Restore. OS gone or corrupt. Boot ISO, connect to the Veeam Server or backup target used. Start full system recovery. See link above for details and screenshots.

It is important for servers to "Include Drivers" option when you create the boot ISO. As well copy it to another system so that you have it for restore.
MarkusHaf
Novice
Liked: never

Post by MarkusHaf »

Thanks for your answer, just a quick question does every ISO file have to be used for the pc it was created or you can use 1 for all of them?
Nils
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Nils Petersen

Post by Nils »

If the systems are similar enough (storage and network) you can use one image for all machines.

I'd seriously recommend storing the recovery ISO as an image (e.g. on your backup respository). I've had appr. 50% boot failures from recovery media created on USB sticks directly. With an ISO you've got second and third chances to get it working.