Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Unable to Resolve Hostname

Post by BackupBytesTim »

We routinely see errors along the lines of "Unable to resolve hostname" from workstation computers backed up using the Windows Agent. Simply running the job again manually works fine and the issue is resolved. I'm not sure exactly what causes the issue. I can open a support case and send some logs if desired, but mostly I'd like to see if this is a common thing other people experience that maybe has a simple solution. What I'd really like is for it to just retry on its own, rather than waiting for the next scheduled run time. I assume Veeam does presently retry the connection, but for reasons I can not explain there are differences in Veeam's attempts to reconnect from when it connects initially, as mentioned in multiple other forum posts of mine such as this one: veeam-cloud-providers-forum-f34/firewal ... 87776.html

So the retry process that I believe Veeam to be doing doesn't work. So it then fails with an error. A human can then go start the job manually and it'll work fine.

Does anyone else regularly see this issue?

Can anyone from Veeam elaborate on what might be different in the "reconnecting" vs "initial connection" process in a job? Since I've now got multiple instances of simply running the job manually immediately after a failure resolving the issue I'm convinced it's just a problem with the "reconnecting" or "retrying" process. Not the actual connection to the server.

Side note, elaboration or not, I'd like to submit a feature request that any "retrying" be identical to stopping the job completely and starting again, since that seems to work in a lot of cases for me where the built-in "retry" process fails. And unless someone explains to me the differences, as simply starting the job over again seems like a far simpler solution from a development standpoint, I'll be adding this to the list of places where it seems Veeam put in extra time to complicate the software unnecessarily and now it's caused problems.
rovshan.pashayev
Veeam Software
Liked: 42 times
Full Name: Rovshan Pashayev

Re: Unable to Resolve Hostname

Post by rovshan.pashayev »

Good day,

Please open a support case and post your case ID, as despite the issue can be "worked around", it should be analyzed in depth. "

I also would like to ask and make sure that you get "Unable to resolve hostname" error from the agent, where you try to run backup. If not, then please elaborate on where exactly did you see the error, and what the agent's job settings are.

Thanks.
Rovshan Pashayev
Analyst
Veeam Agent for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Re: Unable to Resolve Hostname

Post by BackupBytesTim » 1 person likes this post

The error is displayed in the VSPC console, as a Veeam-only Service Provider we don't have access to the Agent's interface directly.

I believe this to just be one of the assorted error messages Veeam gives when there's some sort of connection issue, maybe it was actually DNS related, maybe it wasn't. But the underlying bigger issue is that Veeam is failing to automatically retry after the failed connection. This is discussed here in more detail: veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/automatic-r ... 87940.html