Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SRMETAS
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Simon Roggli

Separate Backup and Management traffic

Post by SRMETAS »

Hi, i need to move our physical veeam b&r server into a backup network zone (BKP-VLAN) . i have added an additional vmkernel adapter with vSphere Backup NFC enabled. The management vmkernel adapter and vcenter nic are in the management network zone (MGMT-VLAN).
Now my issue, as long the veeam server is mutihomed in management and backup vlan, eveything works fine.

But when i disconnect the management network from the veeam server im not able to backup any vm. I backup with nbd and not hotadd.
Our CISO does not want to have the veeam server multihomed. I think it should work but it does not.

I have open cases at vmware and veeam. I was able to have a zoom session with vmware support tho show them everything so they 100% understood the issue. Now VMware needs to talk to veeam but only when im in the call as well. Unfortunately veeam is no help at all.

So i thought maybe here is somebody who can help me.
regards
Simon
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Separate Backup and Management traffic

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Is the vCenter/Hosts/etc added to your Veeam Backup & Replication server via the BKP-VLAN instead of the MGMT-VLAN? Can the Veeam server reach all those IPs? Is your entire Veeam infrastructure on the BKP-VLAN?
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
SRMETAS
Enthusiast

Post by SRMETAS »

VEEAM can reach all ip's and vice versa. At the moment we have catch all firewall rules in place so we don't block anything
SRMETAS
Enthusiast

Post by SRMETAS »

Its obvious that veeam has absolutely no interest in solving this problem. Unfortunately as a very long time customer i must admit that the veeam support once was outstanding but now its just a waste of time.