Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mehne
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian Mehne

[Feature Request] Periodic full backups with backup copy jobs

Post by mehne »

Hello everyone,
please implement the periodic full backup for backup copies.
We are doing daily backup copies from our server to external HDDs that are plugged into a Synology NAS that is physically separated from our server room. Full backups have no problem finishing withing the backup timeframe but once the set amount of restore points is reached it tries to merge the oldest two restore points taking forever and is usually getting cancelled due to the backup window.
I've thought about reformatting the drives as ReFS but since removable drives are not supported with ReFS I don't want to risk it and would rather do a full backup periodically.
Best regards,
Chris
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: [Feature Request] Periodic full backups with backup copy jobs

Post by PetrM »

Hi Christian and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

I think you can enable weekly GFS and select the checkbox "Read the entire restore point from source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments", more info can be found on this page. When you enable the GFS retention, increments are no longer merged to full backups because GFS full backups cannot be modified.

Thanks!
mehne
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Christian Mehne

Re: [Feature Request] Periodic full backups with backup copy jobs

Post by mehne » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the hint, Petr!
It seems like this is exactly what I was looking for and somehow I (aswell as one supporter) seem to have missed it.
I will check it out.
Thanks again and have a nice day!