Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
VincentWRX
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vincent

Error: Failed to resolve host name or IP address

Post by VincentWRX »

By a few clients we got this message Error: Failed to resolve host name or IP address
Other computers dont have this issue. We already got some sort of hotfix. But this issue keeps appearing while the client ins online and we can manually start the backup on the computer itself.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Error: Failed to resolve host name or IP address

Post by Mildur »

Hi Vincent

Without a case number I cannot check the issue and hotfix you were provided with.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
VincentWRX
Novice

Post by VincentWRX »

Fix_497664_cf248bbee2.zip <- that is the file we got from our cloud provider.
But i don't know what this will do.

veeam_backup_6.0.2.1090_PrivateFix_TF494443
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

I checked the fix in our database. Fix_497664 is related to another issue (Full Backup with File Level Backup Jobs) and not one about DNS resolution. Without a case number I cannot tell you why you got this hotfix. Your Service Provider must have opened a support case to get the fix.

Please talk to your service provider if you are using his rental license.
All support cases must go through your service provider which owns the rental license. Rental licenses are normally used by Service provider to provide managed backup services. Managed service means, they manage the backup server or agent as administrators for a customer. Therefore they must open the case for you.

Best,
Fabian
VincentWRX
Novice

Post by VincentWRX »

Somehow the problem still exists. We changed the host file to be sure it's no dns issue.
The requested name is correct, but there is no data from the requested typ found (translated from dutch)

one day it works, other day it doesnt work on the laptop. When i press start backup from the vscp it starts the back-up later on.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Did you have asked your Service Provider to open a support case?
If you use his rental license, your Service Provider must work together with Veeam customer support to troubleshoot this technical issue in your environment.

Best,
Fabian
BackupBytesTim
Service Provider
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Tim

Post by BackupBytesTim »

We routinely see the same issues on a daily basis. I don't believe there's actually any DNS related error occurring, in my experience that's just one of several error messages Veeam will give when the connection is interrupted, if the connection drops coinciding with a DNS query, it's not entirely unexpected, but could definitely be clearer from Veeam's side what causes it.
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/unable-to-r ... 87856.html

For me the bigger issue here is actually that when the connection is lost, and this error is given, or any number of other errors are given, the backup job will still work fine if I run it again manually. So I've come to the conclusion that Veeam is simply losing the connection, which isn't necessarily Veeam's fault in any way, but then it's failing to automatically retry like it should. Based on your explanation that it works fine when you try it again manually I'd say you've got the same issue, but it's just a possibility.
veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/automatic-r ... 87940.html