Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EFMan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: .

[Feature Request] Mail Report Sorting/Grouping Option

Post by EFMan »

Hello all,

I realized to improve my daily schedule it would help me if I could have the backup mail notifications structured a bit differently. I believe that what I need is something a lot of others could benefit from, thats why I I dont script it (yet) and ask here for it :)

The Situation: Until 2 weeks ago I checked every morning around 30 mails what Object are successful, warning or error. Then I installed the Enterprise Manager and configured the summary mail report. Now it feels a bit better but then i realized there is something weird going on.
Summary Mail subject + Counting machanism: It seems like that the summary report counts failed retries of a job as a number to include in the error section. In reality there were for example 5 Jobs failed but the report showed me 15 since the job retried multiple times. However I would think it would anyway make way more sense if the summary title would show the state of the vms [15 Error / 4 Warning / 12345 Success] instead of the state of the job. I checked and i cannot change that behaviour.

Mailbody + Sorting / Grouping: After reading the subject i look into the mailbody and search for the errors. Right now the mailbody consists of all the jobs each with all the vm's in it. I would like to change it to have the option to group/sort to have all Error VM's together, then all warning VM's then all Success VM's. In addition to that it maybe would also be nice if you could include the option to have the error message text that you have in the per-job separate notifications mails.

Maybe i'm missing out something important or maybe i am using it wrong but right now I think this would be a great addition to the reporting possibilities.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance :wink:

EFMan
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: [Feature Request] Mail Report Sorting/Grouping Option

Post by Mildur »

Hello EFMan

Correct, this is hardcoded. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the behavior.

Our EM notifications are job based and not VM based. One challenge I see for a VM based report is what happens if you have different jobs protecting the same workload. Maybe two backup jobs or a backup, backup copy and a replication job.

But thank you for your feedback. It's noted and we will see how we can improve our reports/notification in future versions of Enterprise Manager and other products as well.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EFMan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: .

Re: [Feature Request] Mail Report Sorting/Grouping Option

Post by EFMan »

Hello Fabian

Ok yes i see that this could be confusing. I think I would just add the Jobname to each row:

Error-state | vm-name | job-name | backup-size | error-text

Thanks in advance

EFMan