Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
yu_ooyama
Novice
Liked: never

Function to Ignore Bad Sectors and Continue Subsequent Processing

Post by yu_ooyama »

Hi,

In my customer's environment, the backup was failing due to bad sectors on the disk of the VM to be backed up.

I would like to confirm something.
Is there any possibility that the "function to ignore bad sectors and continue subsequent processing" will be added in the future?
If not, I would like to request it as an additional feature in the future.

Kind Regards,
Yuuki Ooyama
Climb inc
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Function to Ignore Bad Sectors and Continue Subsequent Processing

Post by PetrM »

Hi Yuuki,

It's an interesting idea but I'd like to make a couple of comments:
1. Do you have a support case ID where we can check the source of the problem? I'm afraid it's unclear what exactly should we improve unless we know the real root cause of the issue.
2. Let's say we add it but how to guarantee that such a workload that is backed up without "bad" sectors can be usable after the restore?

Thanks!
backupdave
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Shearing

Post by backupdave »

I would like this feature too. We have a bad sector on the server and it works fine except we get errors on backups. Its being replaced but for obvious reasons we would like the data to be backed up regardless even if we can only get a partial restore its better than nothing.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi David,

Did you try to back up the server using Veeam Agent? For instance, file-level backup might be a workaround. Also, I'm not really sure what is "partial" restore. In my opinion, it is binary: it either works or not, may I ask you to provide me with a couple of examples of such a partial restore and when can it be helpful?

Anyway, I recommend to research the root cause of the issue related to a bad sector, you may open a support case for it. Please share case ID once you have it.

Thanks!