Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
fram3
Lurker
Liked: never

Backup of an archive mailbox with autoexpanding enabled

Post by fram3 »

Hello,

the archive mailbox of a manager in our company has reached its size limit of 100 GB.
Now we need to enable autoexpanding in his archive mailbox. Don't ask why he can't simply delete his old junk mails etc. :roll:

Problem with autoexpanding enabled is, if for whatever reason the archive mailbox is ever made inactive, we heavily rely on our Veeam Backup to at least restore his precious data into .pst-files
Why? - I quote Microsoft https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/micro ... -worldwide:
Autoexpanding archiving prevents you from recovering or restoring an inactive mailbox. That means if you enable autoexpanding archiving for a mailbox and the mailbox is made inactive at a later date, you won't be able to recover the inactive mailbox (by converting it to an active mailbox) or restore it (by merging the contents to an existing mailbox).
Unfortunately, I have not yet found any information anywhere whether Veeam Backup for 365 can continue to backup archive mailboxes larger than 100 GB at all.

If someone already has experience with this topic, I would be very grateful for an answer.

Thank you :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup of an archive mailbox with autoexpanding enabled

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey @fram3

To be honest, I don't think this is a scenario we have tested but I will ask. From the documentation, it looks like it might be a problem as they block access to it once it gets inactive. I do believe we continue to protect it as long as its active. But once it gets inactive, we will not be able to protect it anymore (which is normal since an inactive user blocks us anyway). However, that would mean that you could build a workflow to take a last "backup" before making it inactive so you can always restore the mails from that last backup.

I will request a test from our QA department, but it might take quite some time before we can do this specific scenario (as we obviously have lots of other tests on our plate at this moment :-))
fram3
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Backup of an archive mailbox with autoexpanding enabled

Post by fram3 »

Hey @Mike Ressler

Thanks for your quick response.

Can you give me an approximate time frame so I can communicate this to our manager?