Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Microsoft 365 integration?

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi Veeam,

Are there any plans in the works to add Microsoft 365 backups into Veeam Backup & Replication? I have just installed Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365 and backed up the whole of our client's Microsoft 365 system, but today we have upgraded the backup server and I've had to rebuild everything, and the Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365 doesn't allow me to restore settings, so it doesn't seem I can just pick up where it left off.

There is also the issue of backup copies; I would like to backup to a drive that is changed so that we have air-gapped backups we can go to in a worst-case scenario.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Microsoft 365 integration?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Alex

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 and Veeam Backup & Replication shouldn't be installed on the same machine. Supported, but not recommended. Especially for Service Provider a dedicated environment should be used.
In case you do install both on the same machine, you must be aware of the explorer compatibility list. Explorers for Restore are shared between both products. I assume you couldn't restore because you had an unsupported installation--> https://www.veeam.com/kb4325

If not, feel free to analyze the issue with our support team.

Rotated Drives.
Don't expect rotated drives for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365, as Polina told you in the other topic. The recommended storage type is Object Storage, not USB Disk. You can use Veeam Backup & Replication to backup the VB365 jet db based databases. The VBR console allows you to start restores of that data directly from a VBR restore point of the VB365 machine.

Integrate VB365 in Veeam Backup & Replication
Thank you for your request. There are no plans yet.
Both products deliver a different type of protection. But we will keep your request in mind.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi Mildur,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't want to assume that the 'Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365' team and the 'Veeam Backup & Replication' team have their work cross over.

Good to know about the incompatibility between older VeeamB&R and Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365. I will have to be careful going forward as some clients still have SBS 2011 (Server 2008R2) so they can't upgrade to VeeamB&R 12, and some have Server 2012 / 2012 R2. One client is stuck on VeeamB&R 9.5 because their ESXi Hosts are on version 5.5 and therefore couldn't upgrade to VeeamB&R 10 onwards.

As for the restore I mentioned, I didn't know it was possible. If I have to install Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365 again, how do I import the Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365 backup job?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365
Please let‘s call it „Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365“. There is no Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365 :)
If I have to install Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365 again, how do I import the Veeam Agent for Microsoft 365 backup job?
To be able to restore data from existing repositories, you have to add those repositories to a new Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 server. Then add the M365 organization to the console.
After that, you will be able to restore old restore points from the repository by doing a right click on the organization.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software