Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SunkistDavid
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David

Remote Site Backup

Post by SunkistDavid »

We have two sites local and remote connected via a 45Mbps WAN pipe. Both sites are running Overland NAS systems and each site has an ESX infrastruture. Overland implements their own version of Linux OS so I'm unable to connect to the NAS via Linux only via SMB. Each site has its own proxy system. I wish to backup non-replicated VM's to the remote site. Is it better to utilize the local proxy or the remote proxy for the backup job? I attempted it this weekend with the local proxy but my performance was horrible with the target being the bottlenect at between 85-90%.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Remote Site Backup

Post by foggy »

To back up offsite to an SMB share, you need a local proxy in the source site and a proxying server in the remote site to which your SMB repository should point.
Without local proxy you will have to use the slowest Network mode to get the data from you host. Btw, have you considered using initial seeding for these backups?
SunkistDavid
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: David

Post by SunkistDavid »

OK on Job iteself I have the Backup Proxy set as the local proxy server and the Backup repository set pointing to the NAS backup repository as set in the Backup repository.
On the Backup repository I have CIFS/Shared Folder type repository. It is setup with a shared folder \\nas\sharedfolder and in the section that indicates write data to this share I have the radial button Through the following proxying server checked and it is pointing to the local proxy server that is also used by the job. Are you indicating this selection should point to a remote proxy server?

Thanks,
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Right, if you refer to the remote repository, point to it using the remote proxy.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes. In this case the target-side agent runs on the proxying server in the remote site and compressed data is transferred over WAN between the proxies. You can review possible deployment scenarios described in the user guide.