Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
az1234567890
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: az

Immutable until not shwon for object offloaded to object storage

Post by az1234567890 »

Hi,

If i go to Properties of the "Disk (Copy)" backups the "Immutable until" date is empty or expired on objects that only exist in capacity tier

Immutability on capacity tier is configured for 31 days:

Thanks,
AZ
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Immutable until not shwon for object offloaded to object storage

Post by Mildur »

Hi Az
If i go to Properties of the "Disk (Copy)" backups the "Immutable until" date is empty or expired on objects that only exist in capacity tier
Sounds ok for me.
I assume you use a hardened repository as the performance tier? Only on hardened repositories we show the "Immutable Until" date. We don't show it yet for capacity/archive tier or direct to object storage backups.

And we cannot move backups which are immutable. So immutability behaves different when you are using a capacity tier with the Move policy. Your backups on the hardened repository are only immutable for the time period of your operational restore window (if that shorter than the configured immutably period on your hardened repository settings). That's why you see such short immutable dates (2 weeks since the backups in June). I assume you move backups to the capacity tier after 2 weeks?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
az1234567890
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: az

Re: Immutable until not shwon for object offloaded to object storage

Post by az1234567890 »

Hi Fabian,

Thank you for clarification.

Yes, we use LHR as performance tier and our goal is to:

- Archive 5 weekly backups, 12 monthly backups and 3 yearly backups
- Move backups from Performance Tier to Capacity Tier after 10 days and make them immutable for 31 days
- Archive(move to Archive Tier) anything older than 31 days (monthly and yearly backups)

We have Backup Copy job configured as follow:

SOBR - Capacity Tier
Can we increase "move backups older..." to 14 days? Offload job is finishing with following warning "Object Storage cleanup failed: Timed out waiting for the backup files to be released". Is it because they are still immutable?

SOBR - Archive Tier

Capacity Tier backup repository

Archive Tier backup repository

I believe we need to increase weekly backups to 6 (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th, 36th day) to have weekly backups kept for over 30 days?
Is everything else correct?

Thanks,
AZ