Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Erwin0162
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Erwin

Veeam 365 / HPE Storeonce

Post by Erwin0162 »

Maybe asked earlier but can't find it

I have a hpe storeonce. I use this with Veeam B&E using a gateway/catalyst protocol writing to a catalyst store. Works fine. This is for our onpremise servers

Now I also want to protect 365 data, and also store this to the storeonce using a new deployed veeam365 server. Am I correct if I say that veeam365 only can write to a nas share on the storeonce ? And not to a catalyst store ? As I cannot add a gateway server in veeam365

thx
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam 365 / HPE Storeonce

Post by Mildur »

Hello Erwin

You are right, Catalyst stores are not supported by VB365.
Also VB365 uses jet databases to store backups. Running live databases on deduplication appliances is not a good idea. Databases require random IO performance.
Supported storage solutions are documented in our user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

To build a future proven Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 environment, you should leverage object storage as your backup repositories.

Using a NAS Share for Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365
Please note, we only provide experimental support for this scenario. We are seeing many support cases with disconnect issues on proxies. That is because the storage cannot provide a reliable read/write connection to the database data over the SMB protocol.

And there are requirements to fulfill:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2971

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

As far as I know the StoreOnce can't do SMB3.0 so it's really not a decent storage for VB365. Also you wouldn't have any benefits of storing the VB365 backup files on a Catalyst Store.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

The access protocol (Catalyst or SMB) does not matter. VBO uses a Jet-Database (similar to Exchange database) to store data in it, and you can not run a database like Exchange on a storage that was originally build for sequential workstreams. As Veeam uses the Jet-blue database here, we need to have a compatible storage on this, which are basically the storages on the Windows certification list.