Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ian.cope@york.ac.uk
Novice
Liked: never

Failed to backup System Volume Information

Post by ian.cope@york.ac.uk »

Hi guys

Ok I'm working with the Community Edition at the moment for reasons too numerous to go in to.

Because I can't do a Backup to Tape using v12 CE (I need Enterprise licensing), I'm doing File to Tape Backup

I've set-up my file share for testing, basically the D drive on a test server.....so my File Share is \\testserver\d$

Besides the normal folders, it displays the "System Volume Information" folder. When I run the File to tape backup job it fails on this folder with eg:

19/07/2023 15:50:09 :: Failed to backup System Volume Information/{40f45b90-1a04-11ee-8e44-005056895254}{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}: Access is denied.

No problem, I thought, I'll just exclude this folder. But no matter what I do, the exclusion does not appear to work. Any ideas how I can exclude it, what the format is?

Regards

Ian
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed to backup System Volume Information

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
how did you register the \\testserver\d$ and added it to the file-to-tape job? d$ should require administrator permissions and I tried it out: it works fine for me. I added \\testserver\d$ to the inventory -> File-shares -> SMB shares with admin credentials and did not exclude anything.

As you mention Backup-to-tape (machine backups) was the original idea: I would suggest to add the path directly instead of d$ if you cannot get it working.

Best regards,
Hannes