Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
DonnieBrasco84
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Donnie Brasco

Wasabi Repository Usage Discrepency

Post by DonnieBrasco84 »

Hi all,

I am hoping someone could help me understand what might be happening with a Wasabi repository usage discrepency.

I backup a workload to Wasabi object storage via VMware VM backup copy jobs.

Total repository used space within Veeam and Wasabi is reporting as 93TB. This seemed a bit high for our workload, so in trialing Veeam ONE I can see full backups + incremental backups reporting as around 60TB. This is also reflected in other Veeam ONE reports which show total backup size for the repository as the same.

Rescanning the repository detects no orphaned data.

What might be consuming this extra space and is it expected?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Wasabi Repository Usage Discrepency

Post by Mildur »

Hello Donnie

Welcome to the forum.
It's difficult to say without having access to your environment. It could be a technical issue or just Veeam One not reporting correctly. I recommend to open a support case and let our customer support team have a look at your environment.
I'm sure our support team will be able to explain why there is such a difference after checking the VBR logs and the data on object storage.
Please don't forget to share the case number with us.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AinsleyE@wisynco.com
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ainsley Edwards

Post by AinsleyE@wisynco.com » 1 person likes this post

Check Veeam Block Generation when working with Object Storage - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
DonnieBrasco84
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Donnie Brasco

Post by DonnieBrasco84 »

Thank you that sounds like it could be it. We are running the minimum 7 day retention for immutability, so an additional 1-10 days could blow out the storage consumption.

Is there a way to disable Block Generation?
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

Please keep in mind, that you have a minimum storage duration policy with Wasabi.
Every object you upload will be billed for a certain time frame, regardless if you delete it earlier.
By default this is 90 days, but you get it lowered to 30 days if you contact their support and tell them you're a Veeam customer.
Take a look at the consumption report of your bucket inside Wasabi and check for deleted storage.