Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

SQL U-Air issue

Post by Cokovic »

Hi there,

don't know if anybody else is seeing this behaviour. Got a little issue with SQL U-Air (well i think it's an issue ;)).

We've setup a SQL 2008 Server which contains a single Test DB that gets filled up with useless data for testing purposes. So every day a table with 2 columns gets created (id and create). These columns are defined with id(int, not null) and create(datetime, not null). So in both cases nulls are not allowed.

If i perform a restore of any table (no matter which one) everything works fine and Veeam tells me that the restore was performed successfully. But if i take a deeper look at the restored table respectively into the columns they are now stating as id(int, null) and create(datetime, null).

I've opened a support case and we had also few remote sessions over it. Now the final answer after some research is:

This is intentionally. So it's not a bug it's a feature :)

Original case id is 5148142. I've re-opened the ticket and the new case id is 5173268.

Would appreciate some more information on it as right now this feature is not usable for us in our production environment.

Thanks in advance for any help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL U-Air issue

Post by foggy »

Haris, this is actually an intentional behavior. There are two separate SQL item-level restore operations: schema restore and data restore. When you restore data, the schema (null/not null) is not restored. And vice versa, if you restore DB schema, data will not be restored.
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Hey Alexander thanks for explanation. Will give it a try and test it.

Was just a little bit irritated as the last statement just was that it's intentionally with no other explanation :)
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Okay got to start reading the manuals more carefully. Thank you very much for the hint Alex. No issue at all from Veeam :D
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Just a little update on this. Today i had a remote session with the support and received a personal hotfix for it. Now it's working as i expected it. The table gets restored with its original settings.

Love your support. Great job :)

Thanks,
Haris
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Haris, could you please elaborate regarding this hotfix, what does it exactly do? Previously you've stated that there was "no issue at all from Veeam" so nothing to be fixed, I suppose.. Does it allow to perform data restore along with DB schema restore as a single operation? Thanks!
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Hi Alexander,

i've stated this before cause i wasn't aware that two steps were needed. One for schema restore and the second for the data. I was surprised as your support offered me a patch for it. Seems that you guys discussed it internally and decided to change the behaviour. So yes now if i restore the table the schema gets restored too. As i've been told it's going to be changed in a future release too.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks, I just wasn't aware of that. Confirmed, schema will be also restored along with the data.