Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SteveK821
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephen Kebbell

Problem with V12 and Quantum DXi and SQL Transaction Logs

Post by SteveK821 »

Hello everyone,

a customer of ours has an older Quantum DXi6900 running the latest firmware (3.4) for this hardware, which according to the release notes for V12 is supported.
Well, after upgrading to V12 the SQL Transaction Log Backups no longer work.
At first I couldn't access the DXi at all, but found https://www.veeam.com/kb4429 which contains the registry key to allow non-secure TLS communication. But transaction log backups from windows SQL/Oracle still do not work, even after setting this registry value on the SQL Servers.
We get the error message "Failed to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup Details: Failed prepare storage access". I opened support case # 06194980
In the logs we see errors about <28> Error [TlsSocket] Error on authentication. Thumbprint on begin: xxxx, Thumbprint on end: xxxx, Error message: Unexpected socket shutdown
Support told us that this just doesn't work and that we need to use an NFS repository as a workaround instead. What?

I couldn't find any info about this in the release notes. Just this: "Quantum (DXi software 3.4.0 or later). Supported Quantum DXi systems include DXi4700 (NAS configuration), DXi4700 (multi-protocol configuration), DXi 4800, DXi 6900, DXi 6900-S, DXi 9000. FIPS-compliant operations mode requires DXi software 4.0 or later". The DXi6900 cannot use 4.x software, the customer is replacing their DXi with a new one soon. But still this is very annoying. The KB doesn't mention that it doesn't work for transaction logs, either.
At the moment I have created a separate NFS Share on the DXi and setup a new Repository as NFS, instead of as DXi. Then I cloned the first DB Backup Job and redirected it to the NFS Repo. It's running a full backup now, have to wait until it's finished to see if the transaction logs work afterwards.
Any other ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.
Stephen
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Problem with V12 and Quantum DXi and SQL Transaction Logs

Post by foggy »

Hi Stephen, the error tells about a failure to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup, this has nothing to do with the target repository (i.e. Quantum DXi). So we're talking about the initial stage of the logs backup, not the stage where the backup file is being written to the repository. Support should investigate the issues during the guest preparation for backup.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Problem with V12 and Quantum DXi and SQL Transaction Logs

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

Many thanks for drawing our attention to this case.

Not sure that the error says about the failed attempt to prepare the guest system, based on this:
"Failed to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup Details: Failed prepare storage access".
Looks like it says that we could not start the transaction log backup session due to the issue with backup repository access.

Please let us clarify the issue with the support team management.

Thanks!