Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
antfleu
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Fleury Antoine

Preservation Hold Library directory

Post by antfleu »

Hey -

I'm currently testing VB365 and i have a question regarding the "Preservation Hold Library" retention folder.
We have a compliance policy for 10 years of retention and i'll be happy to back them up.

It seems yes, i tried backup a single user using the Onedrive/Site option, the backup job transferred a total of 30GB. The user has 5GB in the Onedrive personal folder and 25GB in the preservationHoldLibrary folder.

However, i couldn't locate the preservationHoldLibrary folder when exploring the onderive or site backup.

Could someone please enlighten me?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Preservation Hold Library directory

Post by Mildur »

Hello Fleury

Preservation Hold Library will be visible under each site when you choose the option "Show items that have been deleted by user":

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
antfleu
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Fleury Antoine

Post by antfleu »

Hello Fabian,

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me!
I tried this option for my user with Sharepoint or OneDrive recovery.

I also tried with a non-user Sharepoint site and still the same.

Maybe a restriction with the Community Edition ?

Thanks
Antoine
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Antoine

There should be no difference here wherever you use a paid or community edition.
Can you verify if the Preservation Hold Library is active in Microsoft 365?

SharePoint: https://<tenantname>.sharepoint.com/sites/<SPO-Site-Name>/PreservationHoldLibrary
OneDrive: https://<tenantname>-my.sharepoint.com/personal/<user>/PreservationHoldLibrary

I ran a test with both. In Microsoft 365, I can see the PreservationHoldLibrary.
But in Microsoft 365, I can only restore the data from the Sharepoint PreservationHoldLibrary. OneDrive is not possible.

As a workaround, the files and versions is still available if protected by an older restore point. Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 allows you to load all protected file versions from the original location to the explorer for restore. Deleted files which are still protected in the repository will also be loaded.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software