Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Backup from snapmirror NetApp

Post by matteu »

Hello,

My customer has a Netapp NAS on external site without any repository on this site.
He has snapmirror configured from this site to HQ.

Is it possible to backup from the mirrored volume to backup NAS job instead of the external site to avoid WAN low speed ?

When I add it to my file backup job I have an error during snapshot creation : Snapshot can only be created on RW volume.

I understand the error message, I just want to know if I have an other solution or not ?

Thanks
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Backup from snapmirror NetApp

Post by rennerstefan »

hi,

what you see is the expected behaviour as NetApp will only allow snapshot creation on the production (RW) volume, Snapmirror is just a replication of it.
What you could think of, but that is outside of Veeam is to create a script that creates a flexclone (no space required) before the backup starts with always the same volume name and mount it always to the same namespace path.
Then point Veeam to that path. with that no NetApp integration would be used as the netapp processing is in the script but you can use the clone on the second site.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Post by matteu »

Thanks for your answer !
aheath
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ashley Heath

Post by aheath »

Hi, we had exactly the same scenario and were provided with a registry key from support to allow NAS backups from the destination mirror, which I can confirm solved the issue for us. The registry key works for v11 and v12.
Not sure if I can post the registry key or case notes here, but support should be able to help if you quote case # 04873211