Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
floaton
Novice
Liked: never

Secondary Target Change To Primary

Post by floaton »

Can I configure a secondary target on a backup job and have it copy all the backups to the secondary. Then once it is finished copying change the primary target to the secondary target?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Secondary Target Change To Primary

Post by Mildur »

Hello

Welcome to the forum.
Backup files from backup jobs and backup copy jobs are not compatible. Therefore you cannot reuse copied backup files for a backup job (mapping).

Maybe you can share with us what you are trying to achieve and we can make suggestions.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
floaton
Novice

Post by floaton »

I had pool2 on our TrueNAS setup with an ISCSI mount point on the Veeam Server. The plan was to use TrueNAS Cloud Sync Task to send these to our cloud repo because we are now on the community edition of Veeam. When I tried my cloud sync it was trying to move 150TB of data which is the entire pool. After working with TrueNAS they informed me with the zvol set as a device with sectors that I could not utilize ISCSI, it would always try and move the entirety of that drive. So now I have it set up as an SMB share. Was trying to figure out the least destructive way to move the repository to the new SMB share without recreating the job.
floaton
Novice

Post by floaton »

I have started a robocopy to the SMB from the current ISCSI mount. Once that is done I'll rescan the new repository and see what I get. Thanks for the help!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello

Thanks for explaining. Then a manual move and remap the backup job to the moved backup files is the way to go.
Please note, Veeam won't guarantee restores from your "cloud sync". It's handled outside of Veeam, so we cannot say what happens to those files. Make sure that the sync happens after all backup job have finished. All files from the SMB repository must be replicated.

Also consider the restore times with your solution. When you loose your local backup copy, restoring single files or entire VMs require you to download the entire backup chain from the cloud and import them to Veeam. This may result in additional costs (depending on the cloud service you have chosen) and noticeable longer recovery times.

With Veaam's cloud or object storage integration you could start restores of single files directly from the cloud without downloading the entire backup first. Or using instant recovery to power on your machines from object storage cloud provider. Your users will be able to work again, while you are doing the restore.

I'll recommend to compare the costs of a paid license against the expected costs of an outage for the organization. Not being able to work for a day or more may cost an organization more than paying a yearly fee for the licenses.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software