Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
basefede
Lurker
Liked: never

Questions from a newbie about Veeam Backup & Replication™ repository

Post by basefede »

Hello, I'm reading about "Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE"

I need to backup 6 Windows computers, no more than 10 to 100 gb of info on each one.

"The FREE standalone Veeam® Agent for Microsoft Windows provides a simple solution for backing up Windows-based desktops, laptops and tablets With Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows FREE. So, you can easily back up your computer to an external hard drive, network-attached storage (NAS) share or a Veeam Backup & Replication™ repository."

1) "Veeam Backup & Replication™ repository." What it is and how much is the cost? I can't find info.

2) Can Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows backup to Google Drive or Dropbox? I think not

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Questions from a newbie about Veeam Backup & Replication™ repository

Post by Mildur »

Hi Basefede
1) "Veeam Backup & Replication™ repository." What it is and how much is the cost? I can't find info.
In backup repositories you store backups.

With a Veeam Agent Free alone you can only write backups to disks connected to the windows computer, a network share such as a Synology/QNAP or Veeam Backup & Replication repositories.

Veeam Backup & Replication gives you the possibility to manage your Veeam Agents in a central location. Veeam Backup & Replication repositories are centralized backup storages where all your Veeam Agent will send their backups. You need to download and install Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition (free licenses: 10, can backup 3 windows workstations per license) on an central server to be able to use those repositories.

Veeam Backup & Replication repositories: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Veeam Agent Free: Local Storage + Shared Folder + Veeam Backup & Replication repositories
Veeam Agent with a license: Local Storage + Shared Folder + Object Storage + Veeam Backup & Replication repositories + Cloud Connect Provider

There is no costs associated with repositories from our site (Veeam). Veeam Backup & Replication allows you to create as many repositories you want. Veeam Agent Free can only store backups to a single repository (1 job limitation).
2) Can Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows backup to Google Drive or Dropbox? I think not
No, we don't support those locations. If you want to backup your data to a supported cloud storage, consider to buy a Veeam Data Platform Essentials license. They don't cost much and allow you to use our object storage integration. And you will have guaranteed answer for support cases in case you face technical issues. A single 5er VUL license will cover your 6 windows computers.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
basefede
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Questions from a newbie about Veeam Backup & Replication™ repository

Post by basefede »

Thank you Fabian for your complete answer. I was lost among so many options. Now I am more clear about what application and license I would need.