Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bealdrid
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan

NFS repo vs Linux Repo backed by NFS

Post by bealdrid »

Hi,

I have some high-end NFS storage that I would like to use as repository space. Should I just set this up as a NFS repository in Veeam or should I mount this storage to a Linux server via NFS, and then create a Linux repo in Veeam and select this mount point? Seems with the latter I could avoid needing another hop in the data path, (the gateway server). Please let me know if there are pros/cons with this. Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: NFS repo vs Linux Repo backed by NFS

Post by Mildur »

Hello Bryan

I don't see any benefits regarding Veeam from mounting NFS directly to a Linux server. You won't be able to use linux repository features such as Fast Clone or immutability with it.

Another option, can you mount your high-end storage with iSCSI to a Linux machine? That would allow you to use the Linux machine as a hardened repository (immutable backups). Together with Fast Clone. It's not the best solution, because now you have two attack points for the immutable backups. You need to harden your Linux machine and storage. An attacker with access and administrative permissions to the Linux machine/storage device can always remove your immutable backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bealdrid
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bryan

Re: NFS repo vs Linux Repo backed by NFS

Post by bealdrid »

Hi Thanks, with this particular storage, I can only access it via NFS or via Object/S3. I suppose I could do object storage, just don't have much experience with it yet. I saw that V12 offers direct to object initial backups. Is this route worth exploring? I'm mainly concerned with landing my initial backups here. Backup copy jobs will point to our older more legacy storage that presents as iSCSI.