Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dmtinklenb
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Repository ID's Change When Migrating to v12 Backup Server

Post by dmtinklenb »

Case #06198049

Due to DB problems with my old MS SQL database, I didn't want to do an upgrade to v12 and instead I wanted to start fresh and setup a new v12 backup server with postgresql and have been migrating the backup repositories and jobs to the new server.

This has been working well until we tried to migrate the RMAN repositories. I setup the repositories on the new v12 server and then ran the OracleRMANConfigTool --wizard on the Oracle server to point the RMAN backups to the new v12 backup server. After that I run OracleRMANConfigTool --map-backup to import the orphaned backup data to the backup job.

This method appears to work but when comparing the repository ID's, the ID changes when the wizard points the backup to the new v12 backup server. According to my DBA this is not acceptable because it will essentially orphan the previous backup data and he won't be able to restore any data from v11 backups if needed.

Is there any way to migrate the RMAN repositories without having the RepositoryID change?

This is the veeam_config.xml file when pointing to v11:

<Config>
<VBRConnectionParams vbrHostName="v11_Host" vbrPort="10006" vbrUser="svc-acct" vbrDomain="XXXXX" vbrPassword="7H6wZkjZHqTTLoUS5Xlgz1AiQIPvoJ//nLHCwfGbawk=" />
<AgentParams />
<RepositoryParams parallelism="2">
<Repository repositoryName="RMAN_Test SO" repositoryID="8192f986-7ee1-417b-a6a3-d42f72b71835" />
</RepositoryParams>
<PluginParameters backupExpiredTimeDays="12" />
</Config>

This is the veeam_config.xml file after pointing to v12:

<Config>
<VBRConnectionParams vbrHostName="v12_Host" vbrPort="10006" vbrUser="svc-acct" vbrDomain="XXXXX" vbrPassword="7H6wZkjZHqTTLoUS5Xlgz1AiQIPvoJ//nLHCwfGbawk=" />
<AgentParams />
<RepositoryParams parallelism="2">
<Repository repositoryName="RMAN_Test SO" repositoryID="9a783c75-7d4d-48e6-b7e7-fca6a400c0b9" />
</RepositoryParams>
<PluginParameters backupExpiredTimeDays="12" />
</Config>
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Repository ID's Change When Migrating to v12 Backup Server

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

There is no way to preserve ID but I'm not sure that the concerns of your DBA are justified: you will be able to restore data from the v11 backup. If you already mapped the backup, the job is already bound to the existing backup and restore must work just fine out of the box.

If there are a new backup created on v12 and the old one created on v11 from which you want to restore, restore will also work. You may refer to this page for the instructions, the main idea is that in this case the workflow would be similar to restore to another server.

Thanks!
dmtinklenb
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Re: Repository ID's Change When Migrating to v12 Backup Server

Post by dmtinklenb » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the reply. We did more testing this morning with RMAN restores after the server was migrated and they all worked as you said they would. My DBA is more comfortable with the migration process now.