Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
BenAFP
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Newall

Move repository without triggering full backup?

Post by BenAFP »

Morning!

I run an MSP in Leeds and I built the Veeam Service Provider infrastructure 4 years ago and it has been working fine ever since, running VBR and VB365 for our customers. One of our servers is getting pretty full. I need to move a local repository to another disk. I have already moved the data, created a new repo but when I point the job to the new repo it complains about starting a full backup again?

Is there a way to move the data/repo without triggering this? This seems like a fairly major bit of functionality that must be possible somehow? Otherwise, what is everyone doing when their disks get full?

Cheers
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Move repository without triggering full backup?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Ben

There won't be a full download of the data. But it will be a full resync. When you point the original job to the moved repository, we need to check if all objects are in the "new" target repository. We do a resync of all source objects and only download new or changed data.
Otherwise, what is everyone doing when their disks get full?
Our recommended storage solution with Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 for Service Provider is object storage. With object storage you will have more stability and much better compression for the protected data.
Also extending space will be easy for object storage. For cloud based object storage, adding new space won't be necessary. For on-premise appliances it's just adding a new node. No migration required in Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365.
Please also note, new features around VB365 repositories may only come for object storage based repositories.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software