Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
damocue
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: David Molina

SAP restore

Post by damocue »

Hello,

This is a new handicap for me as Veeam user. On a new customer I have several servers with SAP and SQL Server DB. Actually, we are doing backup with Veeam, but my main issue is: how should I restore SAP DB? By SAP conditions, DB should be restored fully. What options do I have? I have installed my first Veeam Backup Enterprise Edition.

If I use SQL AIR, I can't because customer has installed SAP with local user, and Veeam AIR runs with domain users. At this point, when AIR tries to connect to restored VM, it can't because Veeam user hasn't permissions to do it (only local user), and I can't change the user to authenticate through wizard. I searched on Internet, and it seems to be a restriction of SQL Server (SQL Server Management Studio can't connect either).

Other option could be to restore DB file on original location. Could this option work? I'm not a SQL Server expert.

Regards,
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: SAP restore

Post by tsightler »

Veeam AIR is primarily useful for restoring individual tables/rows, it's not typically required or reocmmended for a full database restore.

The most common option for a full restore of a SQL database is to simply stop the SQL service (or dismount the database being restored) and perform a file-level restore of the SQL databases files. It's pretty easy. Other options would be to simply restore the entire VM (which would obviously include the database files) or just the virtual disks that contain the database files assuming that you are looking to perform a full restore of all SQL databases on the system.
damocue
Veeam ProPartner

Post by damocue »

Hi Tom,

For a full restore it's correct this way. I'll implement it for our customers, because several of them work with SAP :)

But for some which ones use SQL Server as common database, what should I do if I can't connect to database due it only uses local users of DB machine? Should I give DB admin permissions to Veeam user? Or is there any possibility of specify which Windows user connects to database?

Regards,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You do not need to connect to database to be able to restore its files directly to the original location. You can restore them via the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager web UI.
damocue
Veeam ProPartner

Post by damocue »

That's right foggy, and finally I'm going to left this option.

By the way, changing a little the topic, why can't SQL AIR login remotely on DB with another user different to whom Veeam was started? Basically, if I start Veeam with user A, why can't I use "user B" to login on remote DB through SQL AIR? Is it a SQL Server restriction? I've searched on web, and that's what it seems.

Regards,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

David, I've just checked the wizard, actually, while submitting the lab request, you have the ability to select the type of authentication to use – Windows or SQL authentication.
damocue
Veeam ProPartner

Post by damocue »

Yes, that's true, but for Windows authentication it isn't possible to choose another user. It's only possible for SQL authentication.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi ... I had this problem too, because my customer uses multible domains and standallone sql servers. For me it was the best way of adding sql authentication to the server and use the sa user for restore things.
damocue
Veeam ProPartner

Post by damocue »

Thanks Andreas. I think I'll choose this way.