Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthias Beller

Feature Request / Veeam Orchestrator should support Netapp SVMs with File Services

Post by MatzeB »

Hi All,
here is a Feature Request regarding the Orchestrator and Netapp Fileservices.

Summary:
Veeam Orchestrator should support Netapp SVMs with File Services

Challenge:
We have been looking more and more into Veeam Orchestrator recently. However, during the evaluation we found that we can only cover a part of the customer workloads with it, which is the VMware workload. Since we work almost only with Netapp storage solutions, our customers usually run their fileservices natively on Netapp within an SVM and not as a virtual machine. However, this fileservice SVM is not included in the DR plans at any point and therefore needs a manuall failover, which unfortunately is a bad result as we expect a complete solution.

Workaround:
The workaround differs from customer to customer, depending on the type of snapmirror. In the best case, the customer uses SVM-DR (data and config replication of SVM) To failover the source must be stopped if it still exists. The replication relationship must be broken and SVM started. From this point on, the SVM is available on the target with the same identity. This is certainly the simplest use case, because in other cases often only the data volumes are replicated, but not the settings, IP, fileshares etc.. This has to be transferred manually or by script in such a case.

Proposed solution:
I'll be honest, depending on the replication type, such scenarios can get quite complex. In an ideal world, I would like to see all Snapmirror/Snapvault and SVM-DR scenarios covered and Veeam configured accordingly. To get a more realistic start, I could imagine starting with SVM-DR as a basic requirement and then developing the other scenarios.

I'm always happy to provide my expertise if you need more detailed information about Netapp replication types or anything else - feel free to contact me!

Regards
Matze
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Feature Request / Veeam Orchestrator should support Netapp SVMs with File Services

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

Hi Matze,

thanks for rasing the request.
I added it to our internal request list for Orchestrator.
We will come back to this thread if there are any questions or updates.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA