Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Yuya
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Feature Request: Pre/Post Script when Application-aware is disabled in Agent backup

Post by Yuya »

Hello,

The "Scripts" tab disappears when "Enable application-aware processing" is disabled in Agent Backup managed by Veeam B&R.
I would like to be able to configure scripts even if application-aware is disabled.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

I am assuming the following cases:
A user with SYSDBA privileges is not available to back up an Oracle machine.
I want to quiesce Oracle with a script instead.
In this case, I want to disable "Enable application-aware processing" because I get a warning that Veeam cannot log on to Oracle.
However, if I disable "Enable application-aware processing", I cannot configure the script.

What do you think?

Regards,
Yuya
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: Pre/Post Script when Application-aware is disabled in Agent backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
how would you quiesce Oracle with a script without SYSDBA privileges? As far as I know, "ALTER DATABASE BEGIN BACKUP" requires SYSDBA.

As you are asking for the Veeam Agent for Windows... there is also an Oracle VSS writer so scripting should not be needed.

Best regards,
Hannes
Yuya
Enthusiast

Re: Feature Request: Pre/Post Script when Application-aware is disabled in Agent backup

Post by Yuya »

Hello,

Oracle is one example.
My request is to be able to use pre/post scripts even with application-aware disabled.
VBR can do that.

Kind Regards,
Yuya
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
My request is to be able to use pre/post scripts even with application-aware disabled.
yes, that's what I understood, but I'm missing the use-case. VSS is always executed for Veeam Agent for Windows. Enabling / disabling that checkbox has no influence in general (except for databases which seem to be not relevant anymore as it only was an example)
VBR can do that
hmm, how would that be configured? If I uncheck the "enable application-aware processing" checkbox, then I cannot select "applications" and the scripts that run inside the VM cannot be selected.

The only thing that works would be scripts that run on the backup server (which is different to standalone agents, because agents run on the machine that is going to be backed up). For agents managed by VBR, one can also run pre-scripts on the backup server (same like VMs)

Best regards,
Hannes
Yuya
Enthusiast

Post by Yuya »

Hello,

VBR can disable application-aware by selecting "Disable application processing", but it can also configure scripts.

Veeam Agent cannot configure scripts if the "Enable application-aware processing" checkbox is unchecked.

Kind Regards,
Yuya
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
ah, now I got it. The third radio button and not the checkbox in https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

While I understand your wish, I still don't find a real-world use-case where that would help (because Veeam Agent for Windows always executes VSS. There is no way around that).

Best regards,
Hannes