Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

how to see which repos in a SOBR a particular agent is using?

Post by edison5000 »

I feel like I've seen this in logs somewhere, or maybe veeam powershell command.

?

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: how to see which repos in a SOBR a particular agent is using?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you posted in the general forum, but I remember that you run mainly Veeam Agent for Windows... is your question about Veeam Agent for Windows (and not about VeeamAgent.exe which exists also for other types of backups)?

Best regards,
Hannes
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 323 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

In general there are two ways to check this:

1. Veeam will launch a Veeam.Backup.Manager process with a special flag if you do (from powershell on the Veeam Server)

cd 'C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\'
Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe -SHOWPROXYUSAGES

This will show which extents are in use and how many tasks are being used.

2. In Veeam Task logs, you will want to search for the string .target. (note the dots before and after target, these are needed). That will show each extent that is used for writing.

Keep in mind that if you are using Agent backups like Hannes mentioned and they're managed by the Agent, the 2nd option may not be as clear as the log handling is a little different.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

Been a while, david. : ) Still would like an easier way to get this going. Using your 'showproxyusages' didn't help - it only displays the *tasks* being used by each repo currently. I didn't have much luck looking through the logs, but it's possible I was looking in the wrong place. Anyway, perhaps I was not clear. Again what I'm looking for is: we have multiple extents in a SOBR. All our backups are Veeam Agents - no vm's, or servers. I want to see a current total of how many agents are backed up on each extent.

We also have Veeam One, maybe there's a dashboard in there that can show this, but I haven't found it. (It shows that they all target the SOBR, but no columns a per-extent basis).
david.domask
Veeam Software

Post by david.domask »

Hrm, maybe indeed I misunderstood; you just need to know how many backup _files_ are on an extent or you want to monitor the extent usage?

If you can clarify or maybe punch-out a quick example of the output you want to see (like maybe just write out 3 lines or so), we can better advise.
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

Ok. Say you have X licenses of agents. The SOBR puts some of them on extent 1, some are on extent 2. I want to be able to see the # of agents, in total, on each extent.

I would think that there'd at least be a column for this already in B&R under "Disk" for each machine, but there isn't. Not if every box is part of a SOBR. If you have a SOBR for all backups like we do - the Repository column only shows "Scale Out Backup Repository 1". If we had other SOBRs, presumably it would show those as well, but that still wouldn't show the target extents.

Would be great in the future if there was an additional column showing the extent for each one. (Granted this wouldn't give me a total, but if this existed, you could maybe sort everything under that column in Disk, then highlight all of the items on each extent one at a time to see how many were on each).

In the meantime, I've been attempting powershell scripts, but my powershell-fu is meager so I have not had much success. : ) Seems like it should be pretty simple. Also why I feel like this is probably something you should be able to easily generate in Veeam One.
david.domask
Veeam Software

Post by david.domask »

Hrm, am I getting it right you're trying to track license consumption?

Or the number of unique backups that consume licenses processed by your VBR server?

The reason I'm asking is because I think the licensing report does what you want, or our VeeamOne Backup Inventory report: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... ng&ver=120

It's not impossible with Powershell to track this, but it's a lot easier for the report I think. Is that the output you're hoping for? Instance consumption + repositories isn't the best way to handle this IMO, as there's no real relationship between the individual backup files and the instance consumption. Veeam tracks BackupObjects (BObjects) and those are what get licensed.

So if that's the main focus, I'd suggest use the above report or the license report, but please let me know if I've misunderstood.
edison5000
Expert

Post by edison5000 »

Thanks David. Not really after licenses used. It's easy to see our licenses consumed, for our single B&R server, in the B&R console, via the hamburger button -> "License".

We just want to easily see which agents (or at least, how many) are specifically backing up to each different SOBR extent, at a glance.

Right now it appears that to us, the problem is that once the agents are part of a SOBR, there's no Repository column in B&R for 'Extent'. Just that each agent points at a SOBR.

Yes, you can drill into each individual agent's "disk" status, but that is not very practical when you have hundreds of agents.

I don't see this in the report link you sent, but still appreciated. : )