Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Daithi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Azure Immutable Storage

Post by Daithi »

Hi

I have a Container that has no immutability set. This is where Veeam backups are currently saved to.

If I setup a new Container with immutability set, what's the best way to move existing Veeam backups files from the original container to the new one? Use Azure itself?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Azure Immutable Storage

Post by Mildur »

Hello Daithi

May I ask, do you use Azure Blob as a Capacity Tier or Direct To Object Storage?

- For the Capacity Tier, you need to follow "Migrating Data Between Different Cloud Providers".
- For moving backups with Direct To Object Storage repositories, move the backup files to the new repository.

Please note, both options will download a large amount of data from your Azure Blob container. This will lead to high egress and API costs. Maybe it's better option to just leave the old backups on the non the mutable repository until they are aged out.
Start with a new copy of data on the immutable container.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Daithi
Enthusiast

Post by Daithi »

Thanks.

We use Capacity Tier.

The storage account has immutability set on it but the original container didn't.
We will use the same storage account with a new container with immutability set.

Does this still require downloading data and charges? I'd prefer not to have to upload all the server backups again.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You're welcome.
A new storage container is a new repository in Veeam.
Therefore a new upload will be required when you want to start using immutability with a new container.

And you cannot enable immutability on existing Blob containers or move data manually to it with third party tools. We don't support such scenario.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Daithi
Enthusiast

Post by Daithi » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the information. We will plan to use the new container and repository with a fresh upload.