Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Restore to new ESXI 7.0 Update 3 very slow / no hot add

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi folks,

we are just trying to verify that our backup works. So we have installed a new "dummy" ESXI Server 7.0 Update 3 (The system has got SSD HDDs inside)

If we try to restore e.g. a 30GB VM-file to the new server, the restore runs at only 2-30MB/sec. (no hot-add mode)
Veeam is not running with the veeam-proxy (even if I mark to use the backupproxy) It runs with NBD

If we restore the same file to the existing productive environment (with Raid 10 and normal HDDs - running at ESXI 7.0.3) the restore runs at 300+MB/sec with hot-add mode

Questions:
Why is the restore to the "new" Test-Esxi Server that slow?
How can I tell Veeam to not use NBD mode and use hot-add instead, when restoring to the new esxi-server?
Why is Veeam (when restoring to the new server) is not using the hot-add mode? (Is it possible to change that somewhere?)

Comparison
hot add (productive ESXI System)
https://ibb.co/pyzg66s

no hot add mode (new Test Esxi)
https://ibb.co/tmd1w5d

Thanks lot!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Restore to new ESXI 7.0 Update 3 very slow / no hot add

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

In the restore wizard, in this step, you have the "Pick proxy to use" option at the bottom. Try it and select the virtual proxy that resides on the target ESXi host. If the issue persists, please contact our support team and ask our engineers to find the "bottleneck" in debug logs.

Thanks!
mcdaniels
Enthusiast

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi,
I already opened a supportcase: Case-Nr.06223377

But it seems like I have some misunderstanding concerning the veeam-proxy-functionality. Do I have to have a veeam-proxy explicitly on the target-machine to make hotadd-restore working? If so, this will be the cause, of the slow restore to that host.

I only got veeam-proxies at the productive-esxi-hosts but not on my test-esxi-host, where the restore goes to.

So I will try to set up a win10 vm on this host, and add this machine as a veeam-proxy and try again.
mcdaniels
Enthusiast

Post by mcdaniels » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
well, I totally missed the point that we need to have a veeam-vm-proxy in place (@the test-esxi-host) cause we have no shared storage (SAN).

What a mistake by myself! :roll:

Added a Windows 10 VM to the test-esxi-host and added this machine as a vmware-veeam-proxy.

Hot add is now working (at least 150 - 200 mb/sec restore)

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Glad to hear that the issue is sorted out!

Thanks!