Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

ESX servers flooding management ports during backup

Post by mikeely »

Our ESX clusters are arranged with bonded 10G NICs for storage, data, etc. and then management is on 1G NICs. During backup runs we see alerts that the management NICs are getting saturated, but when I watch throughput on the Veeam server, I'm seeing somewhere more on the order of 1.5mbps during backups. Looking at the other graphs I see the other ESX servers matching the output from one server to the input of another, which means that for some reason during backup jobs the servers are saturating one anothers management ports.
I've confirmed that all backup data is traveling over the appropriate network ports, not management.
Not really a Veeam problem, more like Veeam-adjacent, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this behavior and knows what to do about it.
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: ESX servers flooding management ports during backup

Post by Mildur »

Hello Mike

I suggest to check this out with our customer support team to make sure that everything works as excepted. Debug logs will tell us that. Please share the case number with us.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mikeely
Expert
Liked: 69 times
Full Name: Mike Ely

Re: ESX servers flooding management ports during backup

Post by mikeely »

Created case #06239145
'If you truly love Veeam, then you should not let us do this :D' --Gostev, in a particularly Blazing Saddles moment