Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: RH

Monitor Daily Backup Jobs

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

we have just a few jobs (18 with Backup, BC, SureBackup and Tape) which we have to monitor each day to check if the backup was successful. Today the responsible colleague starts the Veeam Console and checks the job state and if number of restore points are as expected.

We'd like to automize this process or if not possible to avoid that my colleague has to login to the Veeam GUI. What is recommended and how do other monitor the jobs?

A few years ago we had the issue that the tape job didn't create a restore point and the job was successful. We had a case and it was somehow by design, but we'd like to be informed about those things. I think this was before we had a GFS job and perhaps that couldn't happen anymore.

My idea is to actiavate the mail notification for all jobs? Perhaps it's possible to monitor with SNMP in addition?

We also would like to have a notification if a tape is required to a different mail address that the job notification, is that possbile?

Thank you for your answers! :)
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Monitor Daily Backup Jobs

Post by Mildur »

Hello

You can use global mail notification or SNMP to monitor your Veeam server. Editing it per job is not necessary.
Tape notifications can be send to a different recipient. Just edit the notification settings in the tape job:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

I also recommend to have a look at Veeam One. It gives you a lot more monitoring capabilities for Veeam Backup & Replication:
https://www.veeam.com/virtualization-ma ... ution.html

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Hi Fabian,
You can use global mail notification or SNMP to monitor your Veeam server. Editing it per job is not necessary.
Tape notifications can be send to a different recipient. Just edit the notification settings in the tape job:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
but if I only enable tape notifications at this point I wont't receive the job notification anymore, am I right?

I'd like to send only the tape notification to mail address A and the job notification to address B.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

There will be two mails notifications.
One mail will be send to the recipient in the global notification settings, and another mail to the specific recipient in the tape job settings.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
redhorse
Expert

Post by redhorse »

Great, I thought those settings overwrite the general settings!