Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SerSunal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ser

Hardened Repository Wtih Linux and StoreOnce.

Post by SerSunal »

I make the following query. I'm going to implement a hardened repository on Linux. As a disk to use as a repository I want to present a volume from an HPE StoreOnce storage to the Linux VM that will fulfill the role of repository.
I have read that this storage does not allow to present a volume to a Linux.
I have also read that Linux cannot mount a disk that comes from an NFS or CIF volume.

The question then is whether it is feasible to present a volume by NFS or CIF to a Linux VM that will fulfill the role of hardened repository

I clarify that I have version 11 and I have no possibility to update it to 12.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Hardened Repository Wtih Linux and StoreOnce.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ser

No, not possible. I assume you mean NFS or CIFS shares mounted to a Linux machine? This will not work.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... nux-server
As the hardened repository requires the block storage, you cannot use the following storage types:
- NFS share or a Linux machine with the mounted NFS volume
- ⁠A Linux machine with the mounted SMB (CIFS) volume
V12 supports native StoreOnce immutability. Please make sure you can update or buy a physical server with locally attached disks for the hardened repository.
May I ask why you cannot update?

And do not use a Linux VM as a hardened repository. It‘s not recommended. An attacker has more options to destroy your backups with a VM. A lot more hardening will be required to protect your backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software