Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lgleyzer
Lurker
Liked: never

Assigning the same letter to the two USB HDDs

Post by lgleyzer »

I am a new user of Veeam Backup & Replication 6. We had a chance to use Veeam FastSCP 4.2 before and it worked fine for us.

Backup 6 is a great software. But there is only one problem with it.
We are using two USB drives to copy data from the Backup Repository for offsite storage. With FastSCP we had no problem with assigning the same letter to both drives. But it's a problem with Backup & Replication 6.

We are using HP 500B MT with Windows 7 x64 as a Veeam backup server, with local drive, used for Backup Repository. Before installation of Veeam Backup 6, I have verified that I can assign letter E to both USb drives and it will keep this assignment.

After Veeam Backup 6 installation completed, this assignment lost. Whenever I am switching drives, letter E has to be assigned manually through the Disk Mangement.

To verify, I had PC restored to the original state, made sure that assignment is working, and the same problem happened after Backup 6 installation.

Event viewer is showing error 24620
"Encrypted volume check: Volume information on \\?\Volume{1ba4f229-2b46-11df-85cd-806e6f6e6963} cannot be read"

With the mountvol command I have found out that the partition that bitlocker is trying to read from is USB HDD partition.

Any ideas how to fix this problem will be highly appretiated.

Leonid Gleyzer
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Assigning the same letter to the two USB HDDs

Post by Gostev »

You should enable automount in Windows to fix this.