Business categorization for your virtual environment
Mooncake
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Deal with vSphere Tags in V12

Post by Mooncake »

Hello,

Do you have any information about a process's change for vSphere Tags ?

Because I have a Category with the option export create vSphere Tags.

In V11 : The tag is applied on the VM, and if in the future the VM doesn't match the criteria, the tag isn't remove because like it's was said in this topic (post262969.html#p262969) :
Veeam ONE does not delete any tags on the vCenter Server, it can only write or read them from the vCenter Server inventory.
In V12, same contexte (I notice this change after the upgrade), the tag is removed.
In the log I have "8/21/2023 5:34:52 AM [info]: 0 vSphere Tags have been added. 0 vSphere Categories have been added. 18 vSphere Tags have been updated."
And the "update" is the equivalent word for remove. I have no longuer tag on my VM.

Can I assume that in V12 Veeam One can now remove the tag created by Business View ? Or It's a bug of my installation ?

Thanks.
Best regards.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Re: Deal with vSphere Tags in V12

Post by RomanK »

Hello Mooncake,

In v11 there was a bug which is fixed in v12. The current behavior is expected.

Do you need v11 logic? What is the use case?

Thanks
Mooncake
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Re: Deal with vSphere Tags in V12

Post by Mooncake »

Hello RomanK,

My case is :
A criteria with : when a VM has no backup -> Get a tag who have "security" Veeam job of 3 days retention.
A other with : if the VM had the "security" tag and an other (ex. 31D/12M) -> Get a "remediation" tag

Like that if a VM is created and have no backup -> Security tag
And when my team put the good tag on the VM, with the case the tag cannot be removed, the VM switch to a second criteria (so a update of the tag, and get the "remediation" tag). And after that I have a script that remove this tag.

But if it's the normal case, I will adapt my logic.

Thanks for your answer.