Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
Martense
Lurker
Liked: never

Lost <.vsource> metafile

Post by Martense »

Hello, I ran into a very big problem when I tried to restore data using a Veeam Backup 11 Community Edition
There is absolutely nothing on the backup tab. Then I opened the Backup Repositories and tried to press the "Rescan" button.
Аnd.. Veeam gave me an this error: "Warning Failed to import backup path <path_to_backup>.vstore Details: Cannot find metadata file [6d2a6812186b4d15b093d83d187e6d27_50F6.vsource]"
Indeed, I opened the backup folder and saw this file is missing!
Why it happens? I can assume that the disk ran out of free space, and when Veeam tried to write a new backup, it deleted that file
Only I have access to the veeam settings and this server, so accidental deletion of the file is excluded.
Very unreliable way to save data i think: Now i have 930gb of useless files!
Maybe somebody can help? Suppport is just closed my Case #06243799 without any answer
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Lost <.vsource> metafile

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Martense

Welcome to the forum.
vsource files are metadata files. We don't "just delete" metadata to free up space. Log files should tell us since when this metadata file is missing. If the file was deleted by one of our processes, logs will also have that information.

Your case was closed without an answer because you have opened it for the community edition.
Community edition gets support on best effort. Best effort means, only if there is free capacity in our customer support team, cases from users of our free products will be worked on.
Please see our support policy for more information: https://www.veeam.com/support-policy.html

I suggest to open a case again. We cannot recreate metadata over a forum post. Our customer support team may have a tool which can rebuild metadata. If you have a paid license, you should open the case for your license ID to get guaranteed support response according to our support policy.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

By the way, I believe there are always at least two independent copies of metadata as far as I remember (because of how critical it is).

Your theory of what may have happened is incorrect though, this is simply not how Veeam works. The engine behind NAS backup is essentially a proprietary NoSQL database which is transactional by design so it would never delete any data mid-way, before the particular transaction completes successfully. While running out of disk space would obviously prevent a transaction from completing.

But yes, you will need to work with support to assist you with the recovery. Hopefully they will be able to use the second metadata copy. They are just busy now due to many V12 upgrades going on at the moment, so you may need to wait before someone is available to pick your case up.

While this forum is not an alternative way to get support, as explained in the rules displayed when you click New Topic. Don't just ignore these rules next time please with your contributions to this community. Appreciate your understanding!
Martense
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Martense »

@Mildur, @Gostev
Thanks to both of you for the help and information! I read the forum rules, but this post was also like a little cry from my heart.
And I was a little disappointed that my case was just closed.
About the second copy of the metadata, I was hoping for that too. But I didn't find it anywhere on the server.
I tried to recover the file using special programs for recovering deleted files. Found two files, with creation time about two months ago, but they are damaged of course

P.S I also hope that this post will tell Veeam users that they need to carefully monitor the metadata files(maybe backup them too) and constantly check for free disk space for backups so as not to fall into the same situation as me.
EShutov
Veeam Software
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Evgenii

Post by EShutov » 1 person likes this post

It should be possible to manually recreate the missing vsource file from the job's logs, but for that you need to wait for the above-mentioned "best effort support" availability.