Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rblanco
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rex Blanco

Veeam B & R Console Slowness

Post by rblanco »

Greeting to all,

Has anyone experienced the very slow response within the VBR console especially with right-click menus and choosing File Recover (Windows)? This is so discouraging especially when under the gun to perform a restore.

Most if not all of the time we see the message "This operation is taking longer than expected. Keep waiting, or click CANCEL to terminate".

If i open task manager there is nothing that shows obviously pegged or overloaded with regards to cpu/memory usage. We have created a separate server to house SQL for Veeam as well so i'm really at a loss for what can be going on in our case. Shooting from the hip here, could our SQL DB have accumulated erroneous data that is not needed and thus causing this obvious LAG? I have opened a case and working to upload logs but in any case just reaching out to the community if anyone else has experienced this.

Main VBR V12 server:
VM running with 10 sockets @ 2.29 GHz, 128 GB of memory,

Main separate VBR SQL Server:
62 GB Veeam DB size
VM running with 8 sockets @ 2.39Ghz, 64GB of memory
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Veeam B & R Console Slowness

Post by tyler.jurgens » 1 person likes this post

I suggest taking a look at your SQL Server performance. When running into a slow console issue in the past, I found my SQL server was burdened by slow disk due to the way the SQL Server VM was deployed. I fixed the SQL server according to best practices for running an SQL Server VM and my disk load drastically reduced and my overall Veeam performance improved significantly. In my case, running the different disks attached to my SQL server on different VM SCSI controllers, and ensuring I was running VMware Paravirtual SCSI controllers solved it for me. YMMV.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
rblanco
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rex Blanco

Post by rblanco »

Thank you for your advice. Will take a look at our SQL and disk performance.

Veeam support suggested changing our veeam backup service account from domain account to local system account as well. Sort of makes sense but still considering the correlation.
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Post by pirx »

Yes, after update to v12 console is much slower than before. Whole team noticed this. Even initial loading of history views is taking minutes.