Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
colin1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Colin Tran

How remote target servers can be backed up secondary

Post by colin1 »

Hi all,

I have several PCs/servers at remote sites that are not connected to Veeam Backup & Replication at HQ. (There is no VPN connection).
In order to backup standalone severs/PCs at remote sites. I installed Veeam Agent V.6.0 to them and created backup job to backup them directly to MS Azure/Storage Blob.
I need secondary copy these backup data to store at local server at HQ, anyone know how to do that?
Thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How remote target servers can be backed up secondary

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

For your setup, there is no support for backup copy jobs. The agents need to be managed by VBR to be able to use backup copy jobs. And the (azure blob) repositories also need to be managed by VBR.

As far as I see, a network design change is needed. You can go first to HQ and then to Azure Blob or the other way round. But in all cases the central backup server must have a communication channel.

Best regards,
Hannes
colin1
Novice

Post by colin1 »

Thank you for your answer.
While planning to fix the network. I have some ideas but not sure it will end up confliction or crash the data.

1) Can I use MS Azure Storage Explorer to access the Azure Blob Storage to download backup data manually to local stores onprem? But I don't know how we can use the backup data onprem to restore because as far as I know, the data on Blob Storage are metadata, not file structured data.
OR
2) Add the Azure Blob Storage to Veeam BR and rescan it and use it as read-only repository?

Thanks in advance.
Colin.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

1) If you have Azure on-prem (I think Azure Stack is the product name), then a bucket copy with 3rd party tools might work, but I doubt that this a workable solution. Just copy objects an import them somehow is not an option

2) Short answer: no. Long answer: It depends whether you want to do it once or on a regular basis. In general, one component owns a repository. The second one will break access for the first one. Technically you can import agent backups, but then the agent backups break because the repository is now owned by the backup server.

Best regards,
Hannes
colin1
Novice

Post by colin1 »

Thank you for your comments.