Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Backup Copy to S3 Storage

Post by NorthGuard »

The Setup:
B&R Server backing up 7 servers ( vms and physical ) with a total of roughly 10tb
Repo1 is a local S3 storage with minio running on Ubuntu

I just setup Repo2 as another S3 storage repo with minio running Ubuntu, with the plan being that I will seed Repo2 from Repo1 and then take it offsite.

To begin that process, I ran selected backups from Repo1 and did a "Copy Backup..." to Repo2.

I then attempted to create a Backup Copy Job, set Storage to Repo2, but when I tried to Map backups nothing was showing in Repo2.

Once it is seeded, I will take the equipment offsite, change IP addresses, and then spin back up for offsite copies.

What is the proper way to seed Repo2 from Repo1 and then setup a backup copy job that picks up where it left off?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Copy to S3 Storage

Post by Dima P. »

Hi NorthGuard,
I ran selected backups from Repo1 and did a "Copy Backup..." to Repo2
If Repo 1 contains backup files created by primary jobs such backups cannot be seeded / mapped for a backup copy job, it's a limitation of the current version.
What is the proper way to seed Repo2 from Repo1 and then setup a backup copy job that picks up where it left off?
Since you manually copy the backups from Repo 1 to Repo 2, you can eliminate manual part and create a backup copy from Repo 1 to Repo 2 from the very start. Backup copy will do the same copy operation and as was performed during manual copy.
NorthGuard
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times

Re: Backup Copy to S3 Storage

Post by NorthGuard »

This makes sense....

One more question:

I have setup the Backup Copy to populate the second storage device and that is all set. When I move that second device offsite, it will have a new IP address... so I will need to add it as a new backup repository.

once I do that and change the existing backup copy jobs to point to the newly-added repo ( which is really just the already-populated second repo with a new IP ), will I be able to "Map Backup" so it picks up where it last synced?