Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Rfsu
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: AdminsRFsu

Move server - Azure

Post by Rfsu »

Hi, I am looking for a smooth way to move/copy a VBM365-server from an Azure subscription to a another sub. The server is using an Object Storage Repository and one local disk for OS and Veaam install.

The plan is to copy the disk and storage to the new sub and build a new VM with the copied disk. The copy is done through MS Storage Explorer. When the server is up, connect the copied storage in VBM365.

In my mind the license, organization and backup jobs would work as before.

Will Veeam recognize and use the copy of the storage to resume the backup jobs? We need to keep the backup history as there is one year retention on the data.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Move server - Azure

Post by Mildur »

Hi AdminsRFsu

Welcome to the forum.
First let me say, we currently don't support migration backups from one object storage repository to another object storage repository. We heard from other customers, that it may work, but we don't support it.

If you want to go that route, make sure that you copy the entire structure from the source object storage to the target object storage with any third party tool. You must copy the exact same structure with all objects and their property. Test the migration process with a test environment before you start moving your backups.

If everything went successful and the migrated object storage backups are recognized from the target location Jobs will be able to continue the backup chain on the migrated repositories.
In my mind the license, organization and backup jobs would work as before.
As long the hostname or domain membership does not change, you are all good. License can be reused, but organization and backup jobs needs to be reconfigured again if you change the hostname or domain membership of the VB365 machine.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software