ashleyw
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ashley Watson

Re-categorisation broken after exclusion

Post by ashleyw »

Hi,

We have an issue.

We have just spent the last few days going through and categorising our VMs under version 2.

A group of VMs were selected, and the “excluded form categorisation” option was selected, so the VMs were greyed out in the webUI as expected.

We then realised that we actually didn’t want to exclude them so we selected the same list of VMs and unchecked the “excluded from categorisation” option and then tried to re-assign the categories to the VMs.

However, now none of the categories can be re-assigned as any attempt to change them isn’t saved.

We don’t have any rules defined.

We need urgent assistance as our categorisation is now broken and we have our live users looking at this site.

Thanks
Ashley
ashleyw
Service Provider

Re: Re-categorisation broken after exclusion

Post by ashleyw »

hmmm, just been doing some more investigation.
We originally had a single custom attribute defined in vcentre called client (at the virtual machine level).
This was what we used for our initial import.
We then created an additional cost centre and division attributes under Veeam.
When I look at vCentre I see the veeam created custom attributes have been created in vCentre with a type of "global" rather than "Virtual Machine".

I suspect this is what is breaking business view...

Looks like a nasty bug to me at the Veeam level...

Right now we are thinking we should export all our data out, then add the attributes under vCentre at the "Virtual Machine" level, then attempts to make sure those values are correct and then re-import all the data again...

quite tiresome! any other suggestions would be appreciated ;-)
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

we've taken the decision to create the custom attributes at the vcentre layer with the correct values in and then trash our current business View setup, then re-import the data from the custom attributes.

There definitely looks like some Veeam business view flakiness here - lets hope the issues will magically go away in a future release ;-)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ashley, can you open a support case so that our engineer could have a look at this more closer? I would also try to assist if you PM me your ticket number.
ashleyw
Service Provider

Post by ashleyw »

thanks Vitality, I had to get everything running again before the 1st April (start of financial new year), so I re-installed into a fresh database and then imported the 3 custom attribute columns we were interested in. If and when I get some time to look at this I'll see if I can reproduce what happened. I did have a case opened but I had no more information than what was in this thread. We are running version 2.0.0.140. I assume there isn't a more recent release of business view?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

2.0.0.140 is the most recent version available.