Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
koilkonnect
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Nguyen

Backups after File Server Migration

Post by koilkonnect »

I currently use the Veeam Community Edition with a physical server that is installed with all the roles, include storing the backup repository in the local disk. I have one physical file server with about 5 TB of data that I'm currently backup. I'm getting the Veeam 12 Essential license next week and also migrating my files from the physical server (Windows 2012 R2) to a VM (Windows 2022) in a Hyper-V host. I will shutdown the old physical servers, and rename the new VM with the old physical server name. I will also use the same IP Address.

Is there a way to continue the backup process with the same chain or do I need to create a new backup job and start from scratch. Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backups after File Server Migration

Post by PetrM »

Hi Kevin,

You will need to create a new job: there is no way to match an old physical server with a new VM at the level of the backup chain, moreover, you will have an option to use Hyper-V backup job, and not an agent job.

Thanks!
koilkonnect
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Nguyen

Post by koilkonnect »

I guess I will have to keep the backups for archiving purpose. Will I still be able to access the recovery point if I delete the old backup job? Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Yes, of course, you can access an old backup even if the job no longer exists.

Thanks!